PRISMA Colloquium

Programm für das Wintersemester 2020/2021

Wednesdays, 13:00 Uhr s.t.

Institut für Physik
live at Zoom

25.11.20Matteo Alfonsi, Institut für Physik, ETAP
The XENON1T experiment has recently reported new results from the analysis of low energy electronic recoils data, characterized by the lowest background rate ever achieved in the energy range between 1 and 30 keV. An excess over known background has been observed around 2-3 keV, and this observation has been interpreted in terms of the existence of solar axions, or as an enhancement of the neutrino magnetic moment observed in solar neutrinos, or as an additional background initially not considered. In the latter hypothesis, among the various possibilities considered such as traces of 127Xe or 37Ar or tritium diluted into the active volume, only the tritium hypothesis cannot be confirmed or excluded with the current knowledge of the production and reduction mechanism. In this seminar I will describe the detector operation, the analysis approach and the arguments that allowed us to arrive to such conclusions, trying to address also the additional questions that has been posed by the community.
13:00 Uhr s.t., at Zoom

16.12.20Marina Marinkovic, LMU München
Simulating strong interaction at scale
13:00 Uhr s.t., at Zoom

13.01.21Daniele Guffanti, Institute of Physics, JGU Mainz
The Sun, as all the other stars, is fueled for most of its life by the fusion of hydrogen into helium taking place in its core. Neutrinos produced in such reactions are the only direct probe to the innermost part of our star and real time messengers of its engine. Decades of experimental and phenomenological efforts allowed us to study in detail the driving energy production mechanism in the Sun, the proton-proton chain, which is responsible for ~99% of the Sun luminosity. The fusion processes accounting for the remaining 1% are believed to be catalyzed by the presence of Carbon, Nitrogen and Oxygen (CNO-cycle) in the Sun interior, but a direct evidence of the occurrence of such mechanism was still missing. After years-long efforts, the Borexino experiment at the Gran Sasso National Laboratories has recently reported the first direct observation of solar neutrinos produced in the CNO-cycle. In this talk I will present the Borexino findings and I will discuss the importance of CNO neutrinos for astrophysics and for our understanding of the Sun, particularly in connection to its chemical composition.
13:00 Uhr s.t., at Zoom

20.01.21Jens Erler, JGU Mainz
The precise standard model
13:00 Uhr s.t., at Zoom

zukünftige Termine
10.02.21Nicola Neri, Università di Milano
Magnetic and electric dipole moments of fundamental particles provide powerful probes for physics within and beyond the Standard Model. For the case of short-lived particles these have not been experimentally accessible to date due to the difficulties imposed by their short lifetimes. A unique program of direct measurements of electromagnetic dipole moments of strange and charm baryons, and ultimately beauty baryons and the tau lepton, at the LHC is proposed. Novel experimental techniques have been developed, along with feasibility studies and projected sensitivities for different luminosity scenarios.
13:00 Uhr s.t., at Zoom

Koordination: Kontakt:

Prof. Dr. Stefan Tapprogge
Institut für Physik, ETAP
stefan.tapprogge@uni-mainz.de

Prof. Dr. Randolf Pohl
Institut für Physik, QUANTUM
pohl@uni-mainz.de

Prof. Dr. Sonia Bacca
Institut für Kernphysik
s.bacca@uni-mainz.de

Dr. Renée Dillinger-Reiter
renee.dillinger@uni-mainz.de